The area covered by Lehigh Presbytery was originally inhabited by the Lenape people, although most Lenape were removed from their homeland by expanding European colonies during the last decades of the 18th century. The settlers in this region were primarily German Lutherans and Moravians, but a Presbyterian influence began to be felt as early as 1744 when David Brainerd came to the forks of the Delaware to tend to the spiritual needs of the Native Americans and the Scotch-Irish living in the area. The Presbytery was chartered in 1871.
Lehigh Presbytery is a ministry of Jesus Christ through the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), dedicated to resourcing and supporting the congregations that by the grace of God through the Holy Spirit serve as Jesus’ hands, feet, and heart in the world.
The Presbytery is composed of 30 worshiping communities in eight counties of eastern Pennsylvania: Luzerne, Monroe, Carbon, Schuylkill, Northampton, Lehigh, Berks, and Pike. This includes The Barn, a new church development, and Blank Slate, a new worshiping community. Lehigh is one of 16 regional bodies that make up the Synod of the Trinity. Lehigh Presbytery operates a completely remote office.